Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Italian Quiche!



Now, I know folks usually associate quiche with the French, but proudly coming from Italian decent, I decided to put an Italian twist on this dish!  Also, quiches are great anytime, for breakfast, lunch or even dinner!  We are heading out for a camping trip, so I thought, why not making breakfast or lunch in advance and put together an Italian quiche.  Below is my easy, homemade Italian Quiche Recipe, hope you enjoy it!

Here's what you'll need:
*Note, I made three quiches for our camping trip, these ingredients below are for one quiche.  Also, for my vegetarian followers, I made one of the three quiches without prosciutto, just as yummy! 
*Also, be sure to preheat your oven to 375 degrees while putting quiche together!

  • Package of pre-made pie crust (yes, you can make your own, but when needing to get it done fast, Trader Joe's has a great pre-made pie crust!  My beautiful sister Juleen is a professional pastry chef, so I'll have to get her homemade recipe and ask her to share her expertise!)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream (had some in my fridge that needed to get used, so what the heck!) 
  • 4 oz of drained, Julienne sun dried tomatoes (you can buy them at Trader Joe's in olive oil, garlic and herbs, drain them in a colander so that your quiches isn't grease, yet your tomatoes will still be full of yummy Italian flavor!)
  • 1/4 pound of prosciutto sliced thin
  • 1 cup of frozen spinach, thawed and completed drained of any moisture
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon of dry white wine (I had dry Marsala wine in my fridge, so that is what I used, it was great!)
  • 1/2 cup of Quattro Formaggio (mix of Parmesan, asiago, fontina and provolone cheeses--you can find this at Trader Joe's, Claro's Italian Markets, or nowadays almost any grocery store)
  • 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano

Making the Quiche!
  • First set your pie crust out so that it gets to room temperature
    • Once at room temperature, grease the pie dish and lay pie dough into it, cut off any access and you can either pitch it around the dish or set imprints on it with a fork
  • Thaw out your spinach--I do this quickly by microwaving it for four minutes and then in paper towels drain/squeeze the access moisture and set it aside until needed
  • Fry the prosciutto in a pan and blot access grease (I know in Italy they do not fry prosciutto--I found this out on my first trip there 10 years ago, but my Father has been doing this for me since I was a little girl and I LOVE IT this way, in a sandwich, in salads, as a snack, once you fry it, you'll love it this way!)
  • Have sun dried tomatoes set aside
  • Crack six eggs in mixing bowl and add salt, pepper, garlic powder, white wine, heavy cream and whisk until yolks are broken and all ingredients are well blended
  • Add prosciutto to pie crust, tear pieces apart and spread evenly
  • Take sun dried tomatoes and add evenly over prosciutto
  • Take spinach and add over evenly tomatoes and prosciutto
  • Add quattro formaggio evenly over all other fillings
  • Pour egg mixture evenly over the top
  • Take Parmesan and sprinkle over the egg mixture
Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and fluffy!  Enjoy with a fresh salad, fruit, champagne and/or a dry white wine!  Mangia!  And remember, quiche is good anytime and stays good in your refrigerator for 3 to 4 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment