Roasted chicken is a great dish anytime and there are many ways to flavor it and make it your own. This roasting recipe is comprised of a simple butter and wine baste, accompanied by roasted veggies. This is a great dish to make for a nice Sunday dinner or even during the week.
- One roasting chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 stick of butter and 1 additional tablespoon set aside (again, I always use Light Smart Balance)
- 1/2 cup of Sauvigon Blanc (remember cook with what you'd drink, so be reasonable, but not too cheap)
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of Rosemary (fresh and chopped fine)
- 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large red potatoes (quartered)
- 8 to 10 carrots (buy with stems and trim for rustic effect, peal)
- 4 large leeks (cut green part off and slice each one in half)
- 2 large shallots (pealed and sliced in thin rounds)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat dry chicken with paper towel and clean out cavity. Salt and pepper on all sides and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of rosemary. Place in roasting pan (if your roasting pan comes with a rack, set chicken on rack in roasting pan, it is easier to baste it that way). Cut stick of butter in half and set on the top of the chicken. Add one quarter cup of wine to bottom of roasting pan. Set in oven for about 60 to 70 minutes, until the thigh registers at 170 degrees. Check chicken every 15 to 20 minutes and baste.
Once your veggies (potatoes, carrots, leeks and shallots) are cleaned and properly cut and pealed place on cooking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil and in various places on sheet place a little extra butter (collectively about 1 tablespoon or so worth). Add salt, pepper, additional tablespoon of rosemary and wine. Rub through veggies with clean hands to make sure they are evenly coated. Place in oven @ same temperature as chicken for 45 minutes. Check on veggies when looking in on the chicken and turn them if necessary with a spoon or fork.
Once chicken is done, take out and let cool slightly for about 5 to 10 minutes. Slice chicken and set on serving platter with the roasted veggies. The chicken and the veggies come out so flavor and tender. The veggies have a sweet caramelized flavor to them and are absolutely delicious. The chicken is moist and the skin is beautiful.