Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Grilled Citrus Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Chile Sauce



Fire up the grill, summer is here!  This is a simple and delicious way to enjoy grilled shrimp tacos that are packed full of flavor.  I serve these grilled citrus shrimp tacos with beans and my own twist on Rachel Ray's cheesy manchego rice.  So when you are planning your next "Taco Tuesday," why not do it with some shrimp!



Ingredients for Grilled Citrus Shrimp
  • 1 bag of large cooked shrimp (about 30 count)
  • 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning 
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup of orange juice
  • 1 lemon juiced
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Thaw shrimp by running cool water over them in a colander for about 5 minutes.  Remove tails from shrimp. Keep shrimp in colander and pat dry with paper towel once they are thawed and then add the Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  I toss the shrimp with my hands to make sure they are all evenly coated.  Then transfer the shrimp into a large Ziploc baggie and add orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil.  Marinate in fridge anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour.  Once the shrimp are done marinating, place on skewers and grill about 3 minutes on each side (remember the shrimp is already cooked, so you don't want it chewy or tough).  I use a hand held grilling basket that works out great (see the picture directly above).  Once these are done pull off from skewers and place about 4 to 5 shrimp on corn tortillas (Trader Joe's sells delicious "homemade" corn tortillas that are a mix of flour and corn, I recommend these), garnish with shredded cabbage and chipotle sauce.




 Ingredients for Chipotle Sauce
  • 8 ounces of sour cream (you can use light, but I find non-fat has no flavor, so what's the point!)
  • 3 chipotle chiles in (buy chipotle chiles in adobo sauce).
  • 1/2 of lime juiced
You can make this while the shrimp is marinating.  Remove three chiptole chiles from can and de-seed.  Chopped chiles finely and add to sour cream.  Now the chiles are fairly spicy, so you can add or take away depending on how much kick you like.  I even add some of the juice from the can, because I love spicy food.  Then juice half a lime over the chopped chipotles and sour cream and mix together.  Set in fridge until you are ready to serve.  I happen to get this recipe for the chipotle sauce a few years ago from the show "Sam the Cooking Guy" on the Cooking Channel and I now use it verying degrees for a variety of Mexican and Spanish dishes, it is so yummy!

Also, I noted that I serve Rachel Ray's "Cheesey Manchego Rice" with this.  Manchego is a Spanish cheese that is slightly nutty.  Below is a link to this recipe.  I do a slight variation however to this recipe.  Instead of flat leaf parsley I use fresh cilantro and I add 1/2 of the juice from a freshly squeezed lime.  I think this way really knocks it out of the park! 



Mangia!



Citations:
 The Cooking Guy. Chiptole Sauce.  http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/recipe.php?id=177

Ray, Rachel.  Cheesy Manchego Rice.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/manchego-cheesy-rice-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment