Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Coco Rice Krispies S'mores ~ The Perfect Summer Camping Treat!


In my family, we LOVE s'mores and eat them all fun and creative types of ways!  One of my favorite ways is to add some peanut butter on the graham cracker.  Well, in planning for our upcoming camping trip I am going to bring the traditional s'more stuff, but I also was planning on bringing some Rice Krispies Treats and thought, wait a second, why not use Coco Krispies and add some peanut butter and Hershey's Chocolate Syrup to make them more like S'mores! The result is yummy, gooey and oh so good!  Bring these along on your next road trip, they'll be a hit, folks will definitely be wanting some more of these!

What you'll need:

  • 6 cups of Coco Rice Krispies Cereal
  • 1 16 ounce bag of small marshmallows
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

Putting it all Together:

  • Melt butter, peanut butter in a large sauce pot on medium heat.
  • As these ingredients start  to melt together, add marshmallows and stir constantly
  • Marshmallows will begin to melt in and your substance will get nice, rich and gooey!
  • Add 1/4 cup of Hershey's Syrup
  • Add 6 cups of Coco Rice Krispies Cereal (at this point, remove from heat)
  • Mix together and spread in a flat pan (I used a 9 x 13 foil throw-away baking dish since I am taking them camping)
  • Let sit for about 20 minutes and then cut into squares

Mangia!  Enjoy at your next summer gathering!

*Reduce Fat Version/Option:
  • Use Smart Balance reduce fat butter spread
  • Reduce fat peanut butter
  • Hershey's Light Syrup
    • Just as yummy, with a little less guilt!

Note:
I would just like to note that I can't take full original credit for this recipe.  Once I started to put this idea together, I searched online and there are several versions of this type of  yummy treat.  But, just like traditional s'mores, there are lots of ways to put your own twist on it, as I did here.  Mangia!

2 comments: